Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nutrients for Life


I like to provide a wide range of viewpoints here at TOTC, and while I believe that organic methods are very important, there is something to be said for the sheer power of conventional agriculture. As farmland continues to dwindle, more and more people have to be fed from fewer and fewer acres. Proponents of organic agriculture claim that similar yields can be attain through organic methods - sometimes even higher. I find this very hard to believe.

I'll make no bones about it, the website I am featuring is a lobbyist group for the fertilizer industry. However, this is a side of the story that we don't often hear, and as I've said before, the average consumer has no idea how or where their food is produced, and seems to have little interest in finding out. This leaves a quite malleable populous, able to believe such gems as "Potash is chinese", "fertilizer can be pretty toxic because it is made from pesticides, it kills lots of stuff" and "mad-cow disease and E. coli is all happening from fertilizer". Things are never black and white, but the current prevailing thought is: fertilizer = bad. This site makes some serious points on why we should reconsider.

There is some obvious spin going on, but I found a lot of good information as well. Take a look:

No comments: