Thursday, May 15, 2008

Solutions, Part I

Now that I'm fully depressing everyone with doom, gloom, and the potential coming end of western civilization, I'm going to begin to outline my search for solutions. I think I really need to find some for my own sanity...or I might just cash in the ol' 401k and move off the grid. Which, I guess, by definition, would be one solution. I've touched on several possible solutions in previous posts, but I thought that it might be helpful to consolidate some of my thoughts. Anyways, here we go...

As I hope I have outlined previously, the dilemma of reliance on fossil fuels is extremely complex and has the world in an untenable position. I fear this complex problem has no singular answer, and perhaps even a large scale effort of multiple solutions may not prevent a departure from our current way of life. I feel that this makes the search for them even more imperative. The solutions that I have been researching can be divided into two overarching categories:

1. Conservation/consumption reduction
2. Alternative Energy Sources

I feel that we are going to need to leverage techniques that fall under both of these categories, and in the coming days I will begin to outline these items. I will attempt to not only include beneficial , society-wide changes; but simple solutions that we all can try to employ...to lessen our reliance on non-renewable fossil fuels, maintain/grow our economy and standard of living, all while preventing negative impact to our environment. It is a tall order...and while I have some ideas, I am definitely open to suggestions. Until next time...

No comments: