Saturday, July 12, 2008

Keepin' it Langster


I just bought a bike to get more exercise, save fuel and hopefully a little cash.The process, however, to find a bike in my price range was long and daunting. I finally decided to purchase a Specialized Langster. The bike caught my eye for a number of reasons, but most notably was the quality of bike and great reviews.

I actually purchased an '07 fixed/single gear Langster and I love it so far. Light weight, fast, easy to handle and still a comfortable ride. I wanted one of '08 special edition models, but I got a close-out price that saved me around $200 for essentially the same bike, so really it was a no brainer. (I liked the Langster Chicago with the skyline graphics, but opted for the '07 red version, which appears to have some skulls near the front gears of the bike - instant street cred and an eye catcher for the ladies.)

I was slightly skeptical of the single-gear aspect, but it has not posed any problems yet. After chatting with a couple of bike gurus at a local shop, they said the real difference in riding with the single-gear is focusing on your consistency in pedaling. After riding for a couple of weeks now, I can relate to what they were saying. For instance, if I go all out, I can go really fast but cannot keep up with the pedal speed or tire quickly (usually both). However, if I just maintain an even pump for a consistent and extended period of time, my top-end speed is higher and prolonged, creating a better workout.

Here's a link to another blog that has a pretty good review of the same bike, and some pics too. I don't have a digital camera and I'm usually too fast for a traditional camera's shudder speed.

I would highly suggest this bike.

4 comments:

Corporate Prisoner said...

How do inclines feel? Where I live it's pretty flat, but I really appreciate being able to shift on the hills.

Winston Smith said...

Inclines are not as bad as what I thought they might be. With that being said, I also live in Wisconsin, so there are not too many "serious" inclines. This is my first bike since I was a kid, so I would consider myself a novice. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

I've had a Langster now for about 10 months. I've got about 4000 miles on it. Great all-year, all-weather bike. I live outside of Philadelphia where there's a mix of hills and flats so you can challenge yourself as much or as little as you want. I'm surprised how many hills I can climb on it.

Chief said...

Thanks for the input, Tom!